Saturday, February 10, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving, please pass the Osturduckencorpheail??

(Originally posted Thanksgiving Day 2006)

I was going to write a serious Thanksgiving Day post about increasing salmonella in poultry, and antibiotic resistance brought on by the senseless amount of antibiotics we pour into our chickens and birds. But, something scarier caught my eye.

My brother and I have had a long standing joke about the Turducken, which is a deboned turkey, stuffed with a deboned duck, stuffed with a deboned chicken. If that’s not enough layers of meat for you, you can use sausage as a stuffing in between the layers instead of bread crumbs.

If that still isn’t tiered enough, Wikipedia has some variations. The article claims that Cajun Chef Paul Prudhomme has a recipe for an Osturduckencorpheail: ostrich, turkey, duck, chicken, Cornish hen, pheasant, quail. I can only confirm on his website that he has a recipe for turducken.

OK, this frightens me. I have a fridge FULL of food for tomorrow. I am anticipating cooking for hours today, and for the entire day tomorrow. I love it, don’t get me wrong. My mom tries to get me to buy a prepared Thanksgiving dinner every year because “You don’t really want to cook, do you?” and I turn her down every year.

But, the turducken involves deboning 3 birds, and involves several hours of prep just for the one main dish, in triplicate. Can you imagine seven birds? How about ten?

Here’s to wishing a happy and relatively low maintenance Thanksgiving.

No comments: